Skip to main content

Help To Buy

A Helping Hand

Help To Buy

If you’ve got your heart set on buying a home but you’re struggling to save the money needed to make the purchase, help is at hand. The government has created a number of Help to Buy schemes that are specifically intended to make it easier to own a home.   

At Laurus Homes, we’re not only committed to building welcoming, high-quality homes and communities; we’re also dedicated to making our developments accessible. We believe everyone should have a special place to call their own and can help you take advantage of these government Help to Buy schemes to purchase our houses and apartments.

So, what are these initiatives, and how could they benefit you?

Shared Ownership

Shared Ownership enables you to buy a proportion of your home and then pay rent on the remaining share that you don’t own. You can purchase between 25% and 75% of the value of the house or apartment.

As an example, a 50% share of a home worth £180,000 will cost you £90,000. You’ll then have to pay rent on the remaining share of that house or apartment.

The share that you own is yours to keep or to sell if you decide to move. Over time, you can increase the percentage of your home that you own and eventually work towards total ownership.

The scheme is available to working people who aren’t able to afford to buy outright and who earn less than £80,000 a year. It’s mainly aimed at first-time buyers, but you may also be eligible if you’re not currently a homeowner and you want to get back onto the housing ladder.

Equity Loans

An Equity Loan is a loan from the government of up to 20% of the cost of a new build home. To pay for the remaining 80%, you’ll need to have a deposit of 5% and a mortgage covering 75%. You won’t be required to pay any loan fees on the 20% provided by the government for the first five years after your buy your home.

Equity Loans are available on new builds worth up to £600,000 and you might be eligible if you’re a first-time buyer or a current homeowner looking to move. However, if you own another home it will need to be sold before you make your Help to Buy purchase.


Help to Buy Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs) can enable you to increase the amount of money you’ve saved for a new home by 25%. Available from banks, credit unions and building societies, these accounts mean that for every £200 you save, the government will contribute an additional £50. You can start to claim this money once you’ve saved £1,600, and the maximum bonus you can receive is £3,000.

Help to Buy ISAs are intended for first-time buyers and to qualify, you must not own a home anywhere else around the world.

Find out more

To discover more about these schemes and find out whether you’re eligible for them, you can visit the government’s Help to Buy website. You can also contact our experts at Laurus Homes for further details and to see how these initiatives can help you to access our homes across the North West.

Featured Development

Coming Soon

Earlsbrook, Delamere

2 Beds - 5 Beds £TBC

View Find your home

A charming collection of 2, 3, 4 and 5 bedroom homes offered through outright sale and shared ownership purchase options. Register your interest.

Google translate Google translate
click to choose
Browsealoud Browsealoud
click to choose
Font size Text size
Got it!

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.  Learn more.